Ribble Centenary Celebration
Ribble Motor Services was established in June 1919. We will be celebrating the centenary throughout the year but our principal event will be on Sunday, May 26th. This the usual date for our Morecambe vintage bus display and running day but in 2019 it will be bigger and better than ever. The key difference is that we will be basing the event at Morecambe football club (The Globe Arena) which not only gives us a larger area to show off our buses but also gives access to the club’s cafes, bars and display areas.The main features are:-
- display of vintage buses at Morecambe football club
- display of vintage buses on the promenade near the Midland Hotel
- wide range of Ribble buses and coaches on service and display
- vintage buses from former Ribble joint operators
- free bus service from Heysham Village to Carnforth via Morecambe
- other free bus services including ‘mystery tours’ on vintage coaches
- stalls and displays at the football ground
- new book on Ribble will be on sale with author Roger Davies in attendance
Three free bus services will operate during the day. Our usual 73 / 473 service will link Carnforth, Morecambe and Heysham Village via the football ground. Open top service 421 will run between Happy Mount Park and the ground. The 474 will be operated by a variety of buses from different collections mainly representing operators who worked joint services with Ribble. This links Heysham Village with the Globe Arena via the promenade and Broadway.
The first 73 / 473 service from Carnforth is at 09.30 and from Heysham Village at 09.50 with a 20 minute headway during the day. Final journeys are at 17.30 from Carnforth and 17.50 from Heysham. The 421 operates between 09.50 and 17.50 while the first and last departures on the 474 are at 10.20 and 16.20
All service details and much more besides will be provided in the full colour programme which will be on sale priced £5. Regular updates can be found on our Facebook page.
Please note that the previous day, Saturday May 25th is the open day at the Stagecoach depot at White Lund, Morecambe which we will be supporting with a selection of our buses. The entire weekend will be a treat for all so do put it in your diary.
In addition to the big day at Morecambe we are arranging a number of other events during the year. Below is a summary of what is currently planned. Our buses will also be out and about at some other rallies and these will be publicised nearer the time.
- Monday 15th April – Friday 28th June. A display of photographs at the Carnforth Station Heritage Centre. Admission free.
- Saturday 25th May. Stagecoach Open Day, White Lund Industrial Estate, Morecambe. A minimum of 4 Ribble buses in attendance.
- Sunday 26th May. Morecambe Football Club, Globe Arena, and the Promenade, Morecambe. Major gathering of buses from Ribble and their joint operators. Free services to Heysham and Carnforth and other attractions.
- Sunday 23rd June. Lakeland Motor Museum, Backbarrow, near Newby Bridge, Cumbria. 4 buses and a selection of photographs on display in the grounds of a major car museum.
- Monday 26th August. Lytham Hall. Gathering of 20+ buses in the grounds of Lytham Hall. Free service around the locality.
- Sunday 1st September. Trans Lancs Transport Show, Heaton Park, Manchester. 4 buses and a selection of photographs on display as part of a large event.
- Sunday 8th September. Museum of Liverpool, Mann Island, Pier Head. 4 buses and a selection of photographs on display outside the Museum. This date coincides with the Merseyside Transport Trust’s annual Liverpool Running Day.