Ribble Centenary Celebration
Ribble Motor Services was established in June 1919. We will be celebrating the centenary throughout the year but our remaining principal event will be on Monday, August 26th.
Our big event at Morecambe is now past but there are other opportunities to see our buses in action this year. These include:-
- Lytham Hall. Bank Holiday Monday, August 26th. Gathering of 20+ buses in the grounds of Lytham Hall. Free service around the locality.
- Sunday 1st September. Trans Lancs Transport Show, Heaton Park, Manchester. 10 plus buses and a selection of photographs on display as part of a large event.
- Sunday 8th September. Museum of Liverpool, Mann Island, Pier Head. 4 buses and a selection of photographs on display outside the Museum. This date coincides with the Merseyside Transport Trust’s annual Liverpool Running Day. Two buses from our collection will also operate service.
Of these the major one is Lytham Hall which we have organised for a number of years. Once again there will be display of buses at the Hall and our frequent (every 10 minutes) free service linking the Hall with Lytham, Fairhaven and St Anne’s. More details below but please note these important points:-
- there is no car parking at the Hall (apart from disabled) You can use the free car park close to the Hall’s entrance and use our buses to travel to the display.
- space is very limited at the Hall so any visiting vintage buses must ensure they have arranged in advance to attend.
Several buses from our collection as well as some visiting vehicles will be on display at the Hall along with a small number of stalls. The Hall itself has a cafe and other facilities and is well worth a visit. A popular feature of our day is the free bus service which will operate from the Hall into Lytham and then onto St Annes via Fairhaven Lake. The first departure from the Hall is at 10.00 and then runs every 10 minutes until 16.00. Services start from St Annes Square at 09.40 with the final departure at 16.35. You can board at the Hall, in Lytham town centre and at Fairhaven Lake as well as St Annes. All services stop at the entrance to the Hall so you can travel up to the Hall by bus after using the nearby car park. All services are free and if the weather is reasonable some will be operated by open top buses.
All of our buses which are operational will be there on the day, either in service or on display. These range in age from a 1931 Leyland Lion to a 1990 Mercedes minibus. Several guest buses will be attending so there will be plenty of variety. A full colour programme will be on sale priced £5. Do come along for a most enjoyable day.